It has been stated that people sell their souls to Satan in exchange for fame and fortune.
https://www.gotquestions.org/sell-soul-devil.html – but can you really “sell your soul to Satan” and is it irrevocable? For that matter, is the “mark of the beast” also irrevocable? Biblically not, according to the above article.
According to this young man (who is evidently a 7th Day Adventist), no.
We do have a choice of following good or evil. Or at least we start out that way. But where does it deviate?
Truthfully, this can be extended to religious organizations. Two cases:
- A member has some sort of fault or misdeed known by the leadership. The RIGHT way is for the person to be given a chance to come clean or face the consequences; in other words, correct the error. The wrong way is to coerce the person to do something sinful in exchange for keeping the fault quiet; example would be to defame former members of the religion (even to the point of lying), or be turned in to the authorities and possibly be publicly humiliated (in other words “do this or we will expose you”).
- The organization (or a member) has a fault or misdeed that is known to some. If someone accepts a bribe to bear false witness or cause harm then it would be classified as “selling one’s soul to Satan.”
Matthew 5:43-48New International Version (NIV)
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Romans 12:21New International Version (NIV)
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
1 Peter 3:8-10New International Version (NIV)
8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.
Colossians 3:8New International Version (NIV)
8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
With all these in mind, we have the choice of doing what is right or wrong. God gives you the ability to critically think and you have a conscience.
There are some pretty horrifying things that those who supposedly “sell themselves to Satan” have to do. Street gang initiations are classified among this.
- Sodomy being forced on people of either sex.
- Being forced to eat feces.
- Participating in Satanic rituals that involve animal or human sacrifice.
- Doing vandalism or arson.
- Committing murder.
- Being forced to harm themselves.
- Engaging in bestiality.
- Engaging in acts of violence.
Initiations are one thing and should be in good taste. The military and colleges have rites of passage. So do certain societies. Even sports teams have some sort of initiation. They are done with a purpose in mind.
- Eating disgusting food such as “truth serum.”
- Doing foolish things or harmless pranks (such as singing a school fight song at 3 AM).
- Being forced to take a spanking on the buttocks.
- Physical endurance tests.
- In the military, basic training, Special Forces (SEALS, Rangers, Delta Force) are meant to test the physical limits and mental limits of their personnel.
So, getting back to “selling your soul to Satan”…………. What is “soul?”
1. the spirit or immaterial part of man, the seat of human personality, intellect, will, and emotions, regarded as an entity that survives the body after death. related adjective: pneumatic.
2. (Christianity) the spiritual part of a person, capable of redemption from the power of sin through divine grace.
3. the essential part or fundamental nature of anything.
4. a person’s feelings or moral nature as distinct from other faculties.
5. Also called soul music. a type of Black music resulting from the addition of jazz, gospel, and pop elements to the urban blues style. (as modifier): a soul singer
6. (modifier ) of or relating to Black Americans and their culture: soul brother, soul food
7. nobility of spirit or temperament: a man of great soul and courage
8. an inspiring spirit or leading figure, as of a cause or movement
9. a person regarded as typifying some characteristic or quality:
the soul of discretion
10. a person; individual: an honest soul
11. the life and soul
12. upon my soul!, an exclamation of surprise
1. the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one’s conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action: to follow the dictates of conscience.
2. the complex of ethical and moral principles that controls or inhibits the actions or thoughts of an individual.
3. an inhibiting sense of what is prudent: I’d eat another piece of pie but my conscience would bother me.
5. Obsolete. consciousness; self-knowledge.
6. Obsolete. strict and reverential observance.
Biblically, based on 1 Thess 5:23, we have 3 parts: body, spirit and soul. Upon death, the spirit returns to God, the body to dust (Eccl 12:7) and the soul clings to dust (Ps 119:25).
Ezekiel 18:20King James Version (KJV)20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
Hebrews 9:27King James Version (KJV)
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Does your physical body actually sin? Or is your mind commanding its actions the one that sins? Sometimes we THINK about doing something wrong but do we carry it out? Do demons or angels possess our minds to the point where they control it?
https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_59.cfm One article that could identify demon possession with bible verses
https://diabolicalconfusions.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/can-angels-take-possession-of-a-human-being-like-demons-do/ Angel possession – only by the will of God. Demons are “fallen angels.”
The frontal lobes of one’s brain controls the emotions. Let’s say we see someone in a supermarket line that has a rather attractive feature. Arousal (or lack thereof) would be involuntary. What causes one not to go up to the person and not rip his or her clothes off and attempt sexual relations?
What is it that causes a person to be a moron or a genius? What causes someone to be born mentally retarded, with Asperger’s Syndrome or autism?
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/kc/serotonin-facts-232248 -it is said that Serotonin controls a number of bodily functions, including thought process. Lack of it is a sign of depression. Certain hallucinogenic drugs such as LSD (C20H25N30 chemical) cause a marked increase in serotonin levels, causing hallucinations.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bipolar-disorder/symptoms-causes/dxc-20307970 Bipolar disorder is caused by a chemical imbalance and generally the treatment is either Risperidone or Lithium.
Isaiah 28:15-18King James Version (KJV)15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: 16 Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste. 17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place. 18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.